Friday, March 13, 2009

Flashback Friday - Cakes

My Mom made the most amazing cakes growing up. From birthday to wedding cakes there wasn't any cake she couldn't make. I'm not sure how she got started but she made a lot of them while I was growing up. So many that when it came to our birthdays we had birthday pies, eclairs, donuts, just about any desert but cake. She was amazing we could always watch and try to decorate the left over pieces. She would patiently show us how to use the different tips to make flowers and other decorations. She would let us mix the frosting colors until they turned an ugly grey green color. These lessons taught all us kids including my brothers, how to decorate cakes. So now i do cakes for my family instead of buying them. So when my friend asked my to make a princess cake for her daughter, I agreed. As Ifinished Erika and Carolynn asked if they could decorate the extra cake I had. I agreed and all of a sudden became my mother. I let them have fun and showed Erika how to make stars and edging. I just want to say Thanks mom for teaching me. I always think for you every time I decorate a cake. By the way the Princess cake turn out ok!

2 comments:

Karen said...

It was always surprising to me that not everyone knew how to decorate cakes, it was basic for us. Thanks mom!

Anonymous said...

What a great tradition. I think baking is always much more fun when you get the family involved.

It sounds like you have some very good memories of your mother and the wedding cakes she made. Hopefully your kids remember similar stories and good times just like that.

TJ