Last week I had the opportunity to take Matthew out to lunch. He choose McDonald's. So we went inside and while eating I noticed a man with two children. The kids were about 2 and 3. They were giving him a run for his money. Not eating or sitting, finally the little girl escaped and went running around the restaurant. She only made it one lap when an older gentleman walked up to me and asked me if that child was mine I said no. The father said she is mine and the old man proceed to ream the man about keeping his child under control in public. Some not so nice words were exchanged. The little family quickly cleaned up and left. I thought WOW. I am glad Matthew is being so well behaved. No fast forward a week......
I ran in to 5 Below today looking for gingerbread houses. Matthew asked for a toy, I told him No that we were there to get gingerbread houses and candy, then we were going home. The next thing I know there is a child screaming and crying, "I WANT A TOY!!!" So I keep walking, looking but not finding the houses and the screaming child is following me. I felt sorry for that parent, their child was throwing a royal temper tantrum. Then the realization that the child screaming is mine........I looked at him in disbelief and told him to stop and that his is not getting a toy. I pick out a few candy items and start to check out, All this time telling him to stop or he will be going to bed when we get home, Big boys don't act like this in the store. This is not the way to act if you want a reward or surprise. I even broke out the big guns.... Now you are on the naughty list.... So having paid and Matthew still screaming we went to the car. Only to realize that I left my phone in the cart. Now I have to return to the store with the screaming child to get my phone. All I could think of "Who are you and what have you done with my child."
Taking a deep breath, with phone in hand, in the privacy of my car I tell Matthew that if he doesn't stop then we will have to go home for a time out on his bed and we won't be doing Gingerbread Houses tonight. So he is almost stopped when he says, " My feet hurt" I reply when we get home you can take your shoes off and rest. He replies " My feet will only stop hurting if I get a toy." I reply, "Well then I guess your feet will hurt, because you are not getting a toy." Next he starts gagging.... My stomach hurts. Me- that is because you threw a temper tantrum. No, he says it is because I didn't get a toy and it won't stop hurting unless I get one. Me: That's too bad., you are still not getting a toy.
So after a time out at home, We finally got back out and got the Gingerbread houses.
I don't think I have ever said My child would never do that. I have said I am glad my child isn't doing that.
Now I have said " Yes, that is my child, let's go."
No comments:
Post a Comment